Mount Pleasant Baptist Church held it’s first service, with 21 congregants, in Mount Pleasant Grove on May 25, 1834. The building shown below was opened in January of 1835.
It originally stood in Whitpain on Morris Road between Lewis Lane and Mount Pleasant Avenue.
The congregation founded a mission church and school in 1872 in Ambler, a small village of about a dozen homes at that time. Both were in the home of G. W. Lowry. Five years later a small chapel was built, which was the first church built in Ambler. In 1887, the Ambler church became the home of the congregation’s regular services, and the fancier church seen below was built in 1892.
This building is at the corner of Forest Avenue and North Spring Garden Street. Here it is with a group from the North Philadelphia Baptist Association Meeting in 1908.
Both these photographs are recent gifts from Mr. and Mrs. Ross Gordon Gerhart, III, of Ambler.
The original church has been demolished. The second church is still standing in Ambler, but it is now the Ambler Korean Presbyterian Church. Some of the records of the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church are here in the Society’s archives.